Monday, October 6, 2014

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom

My K1 and K2 students made these awesome Chicka Chicka Boom Boom pictures.  After a read aloud we got right into color mixing.  We used watered down yellow and red tempera paint and made a wash for the background.  The kids worked at two stations, red and yellow, this helped add some magic into the color mixing process.  While some students were painting, I had the rest of the group making polka-dots on 12x18 paper which I then cut into 1" strips for the students to use as the polka-dot border that is found on the book cover.

On day two, we had a gluing lesson and began to stick down all the parts of our coconut tree.  I had pre-cut the border strips, tree trunk, coconuts, and sun.  I did have the students cut the leaves for their tree by making a zig-zag line dow the middle of a 3"x6" green rectangle.  Last, we stamped our letters going up the coconut tree.  What fun!



Final results!

No comments:

Post a Comment