Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Uglydolls at OGPS

Since my 6th graders enjoyed weaving so much, I decided to continue with fabric arts and start a sewing project.  Ugly Dolls have always fascinated me from their simplicity to their unique characteristics.  I found this quick youtube clip about the artist behind the Ugly Doll sensation and had my students watch the video to see how ideas can come from mistakes and there is a learning curve with all creations.



So, let's get started!  I had the students look at various examples of Ugly Dolls and choose body shape, extremities and other details that they liked to come up with a template on an 9x12 paper.  The template was then traced in black and cut out to use on fabric (I used felt for this project but most fabrics would be fine).



Can't wait to see what this one will look like stuffed!
Fabric choice can be a tough decision!

Strand students working together to make a larger size Ugly Doll






More to come once the stitching begins!


No comments:

Post a Comment