Thursday, November 5, 2015

Bicycles and tricycles


I accidentally stumbled upon this short film when my children were watching a Scholastic DVD.  It immediately brought me back to my childhood as I vividly remember watching this as a child.  The magic of the tricycle still holds strong as I showed this clip to my middle school students.  They cheered for the fearless rider as the tricycle tries to reunite with its owner.  

We then used the video/story, The Remarkable Riderless Runaway Tricycle, to launch our study of drawing parts of a bicycle and using view finders to isolate an image and focus on details.  Students were given images of bicycles and a view finder.  They were asked to take the view finder and place it on a section and draw what they saw in the focus window.  We sketched four different variations before selecting a favorite snap-shot to then enlarge and add color to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment